About Bristol Credit Union
MONEY@WORK is backed by Bristol Credit Union (BCU) which is an ethical, community-owned bank, helping local people save and borrow at fair rates.
We have been serving members and communities in the West of England since 1999 and have grown strongly during that time with over 14,000 members. We look after £7 million of savers’ deposits, and in the financial year 2018, we were able to help over 2,750 borrowers with loans of £3.5 million at affordable rates.
We are the largest credit union in the South West and are widely respected across the credit union sector for our progressive nature and our commitment to providing excellent services to members, many of whom would otherwise lack access to traditional banking services.
- We provide affordable loans to people who might otherwise borrow from high cost lenders, with a typical interest saving of nearly £500 across a year for a BCU loan of £620 compared to a high cost alternative.
- We have received the highest possible 5-star Fairbanking Mark recognising how our loans help people borrow better.
- We work with partners to help people avoid or leave homelessness, and to assist people gaining employment.
- We support over 650 local businesses through our Bristol Pound accounts, and provide many small community groups with a basic banking service.
- We can open accounts for people with non-traditional ID, for prisoners and ex-prisoners, and for those who’ve been bankrupt.
- We’ve helped hundreds of employees improve their financial wellbeing, working with our Employer Partners.
- We’ve helped Bristol Energy Cooperative become one of the UK’s largest generators of community energy.
- Our investment in the South Bristol Sports Centre helped create six new all-weather five-a-side football pitches – a vital and much used community resource.